Ohio Library Council  
                     
The blog of the OLC IT Division
RSS feedRSS feed

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

Small Libraries Conference

The OLC Small Libraries Conference is going on right now, and Jessamyn West has subtly shamed me into blogging it. Since this is the IT Division blog, I'll stick to writing about the tech programs. But first, some general thoughts:

Bill Martino, program chair, objects to the phrase "small libraries." He says that they are libraries that serve small communities, and he has a valid point. Most of the libraries in Ohio are "small libraries." (When you look at how the percentage of stats breaks out statewide, you see that about 51 libraries are above the mean, while 200 libraries are below).

I first attended the Small Libraries conference two years ago, and loved it. At OPLIN, most of the time I find myself talking to the people from the same 50-80 libraries. That leaves 170-200 libraries whose staff I don't get to spend a lot of time chatting with.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?